Thursday, January 26, 2012

Rustic Leather Journal

Here's a leather journal that I made. I've been wanting to play around with something like this forever! I sewed together some scrap pieces of leather with some wax cord. I just kind of fitted them together the best way possible. Then I bound the pages in in sections using the same wax cord. I finished it off by tying it closed with some leather cord. Pics are from the front, back, open and binding. I love how unfinished and rustic it looks. Definitely made my fingers hurt sewing all that wax cord...so pliers were handy and I broke a needle too. Lol.

Here's the front. I love the visible stitches. And it smells nice :)

This is the back...

Here's the journal open. I'm not crazy about how the stitches look in here, that's something I'll do differently next time.

And the spine. I think it turned out pretty great for my first shot :)

1 comment:

  1. Wow. I am impressed. I always look at the leather journals in stores, but can't afford them, and wanted to make one myself for the longest. How did you sew it together, i.e. did you poke holes through all of the sheets of paper and then hand sew it all the way from front and back? What kind of needle & how large holes/what tool to make the holes? Thanks so much in adavance!

    ReplyDelete