Thursday, January 26, 2012

Dance Costumes...

Every year I am faced with getting costumes for my dance teams for competition. When I first started teaching I could never find any that I liked...and who am I kidding, I make everything anyway. I like to be a little cutting edge and outside of the norm when it comes to my costumes and my students really love them every year. This year I went with blue tanks, red sparkly shrugs, tulle and sequins skirt/tutus, white leggings, red shoes with glitter and matching hair accessories. They LOVED them. I think it was a success...and did I mention they won 1st place ;) just saying. <3 my adorable students!!!!!


I have a HUGE bolt of this fabric. It's stretchy spandex animal print in teal...who wouldn't want 25 yards of this? lol. It's perfect for the tanks.

 
Here's the reverse side of the teal fabric. I have a back and front piece of one of the tanks cut out.

Here's the sparkly wonder that I used for the shrugs. I've used this type of fabric for years with my costumes. It looks SO good on stage, but it a hot mess to work with lol. Because of the glue that is used to hold on the sequins, I had to oil the needle on my machine every few minutes or it would stop up completely. I think I've made enough of these shrugs to clothe a small nation...(that's a spectacular visual)...I could do it in my sleep at this point.

This is a pic of one of the shrugs cut out. No, that is NOT a pirate hat...those are sleeves ;)


This is just a bolt of single strand silver sequins. I used it on the skirt/tutu part. You have to look close to see it in the pics, but on stage and with movement it looks almost magical :)

Giant bolt of red tulle. I cut it into strips for the skirt/tutu

Teal tulle. I didn't have to cut strips with this one since it came on a roll...just the right width!


I just added red sequin cuffs...red soes with teal laces...white leggings...and pieces of tulle and sequin for their hair. (BTW, do my necklace and earrings look familiar?) ha!


The whole ensemble. They're so cute :)



Adorable :)



No comments:

Post a Comment