Saturday, March 8, 2014

Fruit Leather

 
FRUIT LEATHER
 
An astronomical amount of fruit leather is consumed on a daily basis at my house. I make big batches about 3 times a week. I usually make strawberry, but you can pretty much use ANY fruit you'd like. Experiment and see what your favorite is! It's always good to have a stash of these around for a healthy snack/treat, and since you are the one making them you control the sugar content!
 
 
Here are the starting ingredients. I get my strawberries and apples at Sam's club in 5 lb bags. gotta love buying in bulk.

 
Peel and cut up the apples. Make sure you have a big enough pot! 

 
Add strawberries.

 
Heat over medium heat.
 

 
You can add a sweetener if you choose. When I use a sweetener I choose agave nectar. Tasty. Most of the time I just leave it out. The apples and berries are sweet enough as it is.

 
If I use sweetener, I also add a bit of lemon juice. It adds a good balance.

 
Cook on medium heat for about 20 minutes.

 
After 20 minutes turn down heat and simmer on low for about another 20 minutes.

 
What it should look like when you're done cooking.

 
Let it cool for a bit and then put into a blender. (Can I just say that I LOVE my ninja?! )


 
Blend until smooth. I make such large quantities that I have to do this in two batches.

 
Mix all of the blended batches in a bowl to ensure the same consistency. 

 
Line a baking sheet with plastic wrap. (make sure the pan has sides so the fruit mixture doesn't run). pour some of the mixture onto the baking sheet. Smooth it out to an even consistency. You may need to play around with the thickness to find the right one that's your favorite. I do mine pretty thick, so they end up cooking a little longer. Place in heated to the lowest temperature possible. Mine goes down to 170°. Cook for around 6 hours. All ovens and pans are different, so just keep your eye on it and test it out.
 
 
After about 3 hours.
 
 
After about 6 hours. The sides are done, but the middle is not. Peel off the parts that are dry and put the rest back in the oven. Keep you eye on it and take it out when it's done.

 
The dry sides :)

 
Store in an airtight container. TASTY!
 
 
RECIPE
5 lbs of apples (any kind really)
2 1/2 lbs strawberries (or any other type of fruit)
1/4 cup of agave (optional)(or any type of sweetener that you like) You can adjust this to your liking
splash of lemon juice (optional)
 
Peel and cut the apples into pieces. Put apples and strawberries in a pot. Add Agave and lemon juice if you choose to use them.  (You could also add some cinnamon or other spices). Cook over medium heat for about 20 minutes. Turn the heat down to low and simmer for about another 20 minutes. Let mixture cool. Place cooled fruit in blender and blend until smooth and consistent.  Line two baking sheets with plastic wrap. Pour about a quarter of fruit mixture in pan and spread until you have an even layer. Repeat with second pan. Store remaining fruit mixture in an airtight container and refrigerate. Make a second batch with the remaining fruit mixture after the first batch is done. It will keep in the fridge or up to a week. Cook in your oven set on the lowest possible setting (Mine goes down to 170°) for about 6 hours. After the first 4 hours check around every half hour so as not to over cook. You may need to cook it longer depending on how thick you made it. Your fruit leather will be ready when it is slightly sticky to the touch. It may look like it's not quite ready, but it will be. Be careful not to over cook or it will become crunchy. This might take a couple of tries to get just right, but don't give up, it is MORE than worth it!!! Store in an airtight container and enjoy!
   
You can also use a dehydrator to dry these. Just follow your manufacturers instructions. I have a dehydrator, but I don't have the fruit leather trays. I'm gonna order some on amazon.

 
Let me know if you have any questions, and I'll do my best to answer them! Also, I'd love to hear how yours turn out! Thanks for stopping by!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment