Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Turkey Chili


 Chili is just one of those quintessential comfort foods for me. My mom use to make a giant pot of chili on rodeo weekend every September. I never cared much for the rodeo, but I always looked forward to the chili. She'd always make a big batch of cornbread to go with it and it was heaven! These days I make my own version and I make it year round. It's too good to save for the fall! For my version I use ground turkey and I usually just throw ingredients together so it ends up being a little bit different each time. I tried to nail down a recipe here. Chili is really foolproof so it's pretty much impossible to mess it up. It's incredibly easy and fast as well, just throw everything in one pot! And it makes me think of my Ma :) 
So, here's my version

Ingredients: ground turkey (or beef), olive oil (not pictured), onion, green peppers, garlic, whole tomatoes, pinto beans, kidney beans, black beans, chili powder (not pictured), paprika, cumin, coriander, oregano, marjoram, salt and pepper. And shredded cheddar cheese for topping.

chop onion

chop peppers

Brown turkey (or beef) and onions in stock pot. Add garlic and spices.

Add peppers and cook a few minutes.

Add beans.

Squish whole tomatoes with hands and add.

Top with cheese and serve with crackers... or cornbread. Yum!

INGREDIENTS:
1 pound ground turkey (or beef)
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 onion
2 green peppers
2 cloves of garlic minced
2 28oz cans whole tomatoes
1 can pinto beans
1 can kidney beans
1 can black beans
2 Tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1\2 teaspoon dried oregano
1\2 teaspoon salt
1\2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1\4 teaspoon marjoram
1\4 teaspoon oregano


INSTRUCTIONS:

Heat olive oil in stock pot over medium heat. Put ground turkey in pot and cook until evenly browned. Add onion and cook until tender.
Add garlic and green peppers. Stir to combine.
Add spices and stir to combine again.
Add beans and stir.
Squish tomatoes with hands and add to pot. Stir it all up.
Reduce to low and simmer for about 25-30 minutes.
That's it! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment