Thursday, April 3, 2014

Easy Homemade Chicken Stock

Chicken stock is just one of those things that I always seem to need. So many different things can be made with it so I love having a batch on hand. To be honest, if you know me at all, you know I LOVE cutting costs and saving money. Makes me feel good :)
 And what is a better price than FREE? That's basically the cost of making this stock. I already used the whole chicken for two separate meals and now I'm using what would be trash to make something that I need and would otherwise be purchasing. Yay! And did I mention how easy it is? Yep. Almost too easy. Also, perhaps the best and most important thing, since it's made by me I know there are no creepy preservatives or mystery ingredients and I can control the salt content. Bonus!
 
Again...Remember this guy??? It started as Whole Roasted Chicken And Vegetables and then I used the remaining meat on this bad boy for my White Chicken Enchiladas. Now all that's left is literally skin and bones.

Leftover bones and skin.

Fill with water. 

Add seasonings of your choice.

Cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours.

Remove bones and skin.

The finished product! It made 8 cups. Beautiful AND tasty :)

INGREDIENTS:
Chicken carcass
Water
Salt
Pepper
Season all

Put chicken carcass in slow cooker. Add water until full. Season with spices of your choice. Cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours.  Remove all of the bones and skin. You can run it through a strainer at this point if you want to. I didn't. That's it! Throw it in your favorite recipe or even replace water with this when cooking rice. It adds so much flavor! Store in fridge or airtight container for up to a week or freeze! It's so tasty!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment